Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sceenr

So looking at my PLN, I noticed that a lot of the teachers that I follow create video tutorials and post them to their blog.  Here are two that I recently watched and LOVED.

Picture
Anybody who knows me knows that I LOVE clipart.  The first video tutorial from Ashley Hughes shows how to unsquish a background.  Super simple but something that I didn't know how to do.  The next one is from Strive to Sparkle and it's about Mentor Mob.  I haven't gotten my Mentor Mob set up just yet but I used hers to watch a few youtube videos with my kids.  I loved that I didn't have to go to youtube and see all the advertisements, I could go straight to the video that I needed.  I will definitely be using this asap.

These video tutorials got me thinking.  If I could watch them from the comfort of my home after my sweet boys had gone to sleep, wouldn't my fellow Sherwood teachers like to do the same thing.  So I created my first screenr.  It was super easy but I have to tell you I am a perfectionist, so I ended up deleting four screen casts before I found the one that I was happy with.  Here is the finished project, I did the video tutorial on Socrative.





I had some pretty good feedback from some teachers that found it helpful.  Next week I'm planning to do a video tutorial on popplet.  This is my students new favorite thing.  We are working on the life cycle of the frog and they wanted to create a popplet.  They LOVE the drawing feature and since we don't have iPads just yet, they completed this popplet on the activboard using the activpen and the onscreen keyboard.

It's been a neat experience to dig into my PLN a little more.  I have learned how to use screenr and popplet just recently because of my wonderful PLN.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that your PLN has introduced you to a new method of collaborating and teaching. Great videos - I noticed you had to split it because of the 5 minute limit on Screenr. A solution may be Screencastomatic.com - you will be able to create a longer video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always a pleasure reading your blog because I usually learn something new. Thanks for the tutorial on squishing, or should I say unsquishing? Ha!

    ReplyDelete